Modern Foreign Languages
At Farcet C of E Primary School we believe that the ability to speak another language is a valuable educational, social and cultural experience and that all children in Key Stage 2 should be given the opportunity to participate in this inspiring subject.
Our curriculum is designed to ensure that all pupils:
- Develop an interest in learning other languages by delivering enjoyable and stimulating lessons
- Are curious about learning another language and confident when doing so
- Have a broader perspective of the world and are aware of cultural differences in other countries
- Embed the skills of listening, speaking, reading and writing
- Lay the foundations for their future language learning.
Teachers plan using the ‘La Jolie Ronde’ scheme in the following ways:
- Using a medium term plan which outlines the knowledge all children must master during the half term.
- Using a cycle of lessons for French, which carefully develop children’s skills in language through regularly taught lessons
- Children progressively acquire, and use, a growing bank of key vocabulary based around topics
- Children develop their speaking and listening skills through conversational work, singing and games. As their confidence grows, the children will record their work in pictures, captions and sentences.
- Challenge questions for pupils to apply their learning.
- Visiting experts who will enhance the learning experience whenever possible.
- A means to display and celebrate the pupils’ work in their class or around school
Our Modern Foreign Language curriculum is high quality, well thought-out and is planned to demonstrate progression. If children are keeping up with the curriculum, they are deemed to be making good or better progress. In addition, we measure the impact of our curriculum through the following methods:
- Reflection on standards achieved against the planned outcomes.
- A celebration of learning for each term which demonstrates progression across the school.
- Pupil discussions about their learning which includes discussion of their thoughts, ideas, processing and evaluations of work.